Saturday, August 25, 2012

Meyer Lemon Donuts



The summer is almost over and the fall is approaching fast. I love the fall for so many reasons. Apple cider, pumpkins, Halloween, I could name a million.

I will post A LOT of fun dishes this fall. I know I've been MIA lately but I have been really trying to get my name out there locally. I would really love to show my children that you can be successful at doing something you enjoy while still being a great, active stay at home mommy. 

Anywho, I thought a great way to say farewell to summer is with a treat that's delicious regardless of the season. DONUTS!

The recipe  is a basic old fashioned but to add a little extra zing, I incorporated beautiful Meyer lemons I found at Fairway this week, they were perfectly ripe and added a nice delicate touch to a basic donut glaze.

Just a heads up, this dough must be refrigerated overnight.

Starting with 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon of milk in a small sauce pan, I let it simmer until steaming and poured over 1 packet of active dry yeast.. Let the yeast and milk settle for about 10 minutes. Melt 3/4 cups of butter In the microwave for about 30 seconds. While the butter is cooling down a bit, take two eggs and put them in your mixer with the dough hook attachment and beat them for a minute. Add in the melted butter without turning off the mixer.

Continue to mix until fully blended and add in the yeast mixture. Once thoroughly mixed, add in 4 cups bread flour. Using the dip and sweep method.

Knead in your mixer or by hand for 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, with plastic wrap in the fridge overnight.

When you are ready to make your doughnuts, line 2 cookie sheets with parchment and turn your oven on to 350 degrees. The cookie sheets should be on top of the oven as the doughnuts will need to rise in a nice warm area.

Roll out your dough until it is about 1/4 inch thick. You can use a round cookie cutter or a cup for the shape. For the doughnut hole I used the smallest circular fondant cutter that is used for flower making (I think) But you could even use a bottle cap if you do not have a small round cutter.  Place molded doughnuts on the cookie sheets and let rest until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

In a large heavy pot. Heat enough canola oil to go about 2/3 of the way up your pot and heat until 375 degrees. In the mean time get a few cooling racks and place a nice layer of paper towel on top to catch the grease.

Once the temperature is about 360 it will rise pretty rapidly so get ready.

Place the doughnuts in, 2-3 at a time for 30 seconds per side, or until nice and golden to your liking.

The dough is very delicate so I recommend picking up with a heat resistant spatula.

While they rest and degrease on the paper towel, make your delicious glaze.

1.5 cups of confectioners suger, the juice of 1 Meyer lemon and enough water to get to medium-thick consistency, about 1/4 cup(warm).

Dip your doughnut in half way through and let rest right side up so that the glaze drips down. I also used Alton Brown's chocolate doughnut glaze for a few, it was...OK

Hubby loved the ones I left plain the best, a real old fashioned doughnut.

For a basic glaze, just omit the Meyer lemon juice.  I even fried up the donut holes and let Julia roll a few in some sprinkles for a little quiet kitchen time while baby Jacob was asleep. I'd advise you not to let your toddler do this if you JUST MOPPED THE FLOOR! Like I did...whoopsie.

P.S This recipe makes 18.

Enjoy :)




No comments:

Post a Comment