Saturday, September 22, 2012

Poor Baby, Broccoli & Cheese Soup



The House of J's had a nice relaxing holiday week. We had some fun outings and all was well until...All of a sudden my little Julia wakes up with a cold. Poor baby :(

So far, Jacob has a little bitty temperature spike but it's no surprise because his everyday temperature is about 98.9. What a little hottie.

A Saturday at home, just trying my hardest to make both kids as cozy and comfortable as possible. I decided to make Julia one of her favorite things...SOUP!

She hadn't been eating much the past few days which makes sense now, so I wanted to make her a jam packed soup full of nutrition.

I started out with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1/2 sweet onion. In a large pot on medium heat until the onions were soft. To this I added 1 tablespoon butter and 2 medium carrots, chopped.

I left the veggies on medium heat until the carrots were starting to get soft and the butter was fully melted, then I added 1/8 cup flour and stirred until smooth.

To this I added 1/2 cup of milk and 3/4 cup chicken stock. The milk can be substituted for half and half if you prefer.

Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

I used frozen broccoli because it's what I had on hand, but fresh broccoli would be far superior if available. If you decide to go frozen, be sure its completely thawed and you squeeze the moisture out with a paper towel and a strainer.

Next up, throw in your broccoli, about 2.5 cups(can be more or less depending on how "broccoli-ish you like it)  and 4oz of cheese. I used a mix of grated monterey jack and cheddar. Add in 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.

Bring all the ingredients to a boil and then let simmer for another 30 minutes..

Serve with crackers and kisses :)

*side note* this was perfect for Julia and I and it filled up a small round Tupperware for lunch tomorrow. If serving a larger crowd feel free to double the recipe :)



No comments:

Post a Comment