Monday, October 22, 2012

J's Jalapeno Cornbread

Hubby is always laughing at me because...well, we live in NJ. We are both originally from NYC and I act like I'm from Mississippi (not that I've ever been there, but its a guess). I love when hubs buys flannel, even though its not 1994 and Kurt Cobain is long gone. I love BBQ and cornbread and fried chicken.. Oh and we went to Memphis once and had FRIED PICKLES OH MY GOODNESS.

I love the Pioneer woman, I want to homeschool our kids AND I even like some country music. So I'm thinking I was born in the wrong state.  I also think I was born in the wrong decade too, because. I love being a housewife, and there is nothing better then hubby going Mmm Mmm Mmm after hes eaten something I made.

This cornbread, is to die for...Its got heat, its got buttery crumbles and a deliciously crunchy edge that just melts in your mouth. SO GOOD!

This is a little tedious because you are not allowed to use your mixer... I know I know. stinks, sorry. But you will appreciate the hard work and upper arm exercise once you've tasted it...I promise.

Preheat oven to 350

In a large bowl goes 1 stick of butter, room temperature. I usually stick it in the microwave for 20 seconds and its good to go. Who remembers to take the butter out? not me.

1/2 cup of sugar and beat with a whisk until fully incorporated.

Add in 1 egg 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup cornmeal. 1 tablespoon baking powder and about 2 teaspoons of salt.

mix mix mix until your arms hurt and all the ingredients are like a sticky paste. Slowly stir in(or have your toddler do it) 3/4 cup of milk.

Whisk until its nice and creamy and incorporated. I used jalapeno cheddar slices from the deli. Delicious, but feel free to chop up fresh jalapenos and use regular cheddar cheese.

I crumbled 5 slices of jalapeno cheddar and mixed into the batter. In a well greased pan (I used a 8x8 brownie pan) pour your batter and good for 30-35 minutes.

I cooked mine for 32 minutes and it was PERFECT. moist, golden and oh so fabulous. But all ovens are different.

Enjoy with pork chops, uncooked baked beans (thats another story) or whatever your heart desires :)


No comments:

Post a Comment