Sunday, March 3, 2013

Very Vanilla Iced Chai Latte


There is this little hole in the wall doughnut shop on the East Side in Manhattan called "Doughnut Plant". My friend and I used to walk all the way from the West Side, through crowded China town just for their iced chai's. You can't even sit and enjoy a doughnut and a drink in there without people knocking into you or giving you dirty stares that you are taking too long. Oh the joys of city living.

It was one of the stops that I tried to make one last time before leaving for the "country" sadly, no iced chai's that day (sad face)

One thing about coffee and lattes of any kind is how much "dough" you are forking over for one! I am still shocked when I order a coffee and a kids chocolate milk and its $10.00

Iced Chai's are so fun and easy to make at home. I've used so many recipes to blend my own but Oregon Chai concentrate is by far my favorite. It isn't too spicy and its just perfectly smooth. Even though it is sold back east, It took moving to Colorado to find out about it...YUM

In my new found eco-friendly fondness I also have a cute reusable coffee cup that I am in love with. It's 24oz so it does make one giant cup of chai(I got it on clearance!!) 

Here is a fun, fast and delicious recipe.

You Need: Makes 24oz
3/4 cup Oregon Chai Concentrate
Ice
1/4 cup vanilla soy milk
1/2 cup 2% milk
1 teaspoon madagascar vanilla bean powder ( a little pricey but it will last a long while, available at wholefoods in the baking isle)


Fill your cup half way with ice and pour in the chai concentrate. 
Measure out your milks and combine. Add in the vanilla powder, stiring until the powder has broken down and all you see is the tiny little black specks. Those are the vanilla beans :)
Add the milks & vanilla mixture to your cup, stir and enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment