Sunday, July 21, 2013

Real Food: Cauliflower Pizza Crust


I promise that House Of J will not turn into a diet food only recipe blog. There are plenty of those. But what I will promise is to keep it at least on the "spectrum" of healthy eating.

My families choice to eat organic is based on lots of research and some health factors that play a part in our specific journey.

For me... Finding alternatives to food I love that pack more punch when it comes to vegetables, nutritional benefit and dietary benefit is absolutely essential.

Low and behold... The cauliflower pizza craze.

When I decided I'd like to try it, I had heard it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. So I called in reinforcement! A friend and I decided to tackle cauliflower pizza head on and we are so glad we did because it was out of this world amazing!!

You need:

1 head of cauliflower "riced" (grated in a food processor until very fine)
lots of spices and flavorings like oregano basil and yummy garlic
1.5 cups shredded asiago cheese
olive oil
1 egg
tomato sauce of your choice ( homemade is always better )
mozzarella & pecorino romano cheese


Take your grated cauliflower and boil it on medium heat for 3 minutes. Use a strainer to to catch it and then wrap in a dishtowel or cheese cloth. We used a few paper towels in a strainer and it worked great :)

Squeeze ALL liquid from the cauliflower and return it to the food processor with your egg, asiago, garlic, basil and oregano.

line a baking sheet with parchment and shape "dough" into a Sicilian pie( rectangle ). Brush a little EVOO on top and bake at 450 for 20-30 minutes

Add your toppings and return to the oven for another 8-10 minutes or until all your cheese has melted.

Be sure to put more seasoning on top as well! You can never have enough basil, garlic and oregano!

Cut into 8 slices and share with your friends :)

xo-J



No comments:

Post a Comment