While we love going out for some delicious BBQ or a burger, we often choose more ethnic cuisine when dining out. Tapas, Italian and of course Greek.
My favorite of all is the "Spanakopita" or spinach pie. Spinach, Feta, Pastry, what more could you ask for!
With a tighter than usual grocery budget, I planned my Spanakopita to comfortably feed 6 as a side dish during dinner and also be easy lunches for the munchkins and I during the week.
Not only was it delicious, but it was organic and GMO free unlike the average Greek restaurant.
Price Comparison & Breakdown:
Organic Pre-made Fillo - $5.99 (their website has it cheaper if you're not in a rush here
1lb Organic Spinach- $3.99
10 ounces Feta (Used 3/4 container) $5.64
Organic cream cheese $.99
Organic onion $.79
Grass Fed Butter $1.40 worth ( 2 pack @ costco for $6.60)
Total Tray $18.80
16 squares = $1.18 Per Person!
Compared to $6 per appetizer portion at our local eatery.
Without further adieu- Half Homemade Spanakopita
1lb organic spinach
1 package organic fillo dough- 16 sheets (you'll have left overs)
2 cups feta cheese
1 cup cream cheese (room temp)
half of 1 medium onion, minced
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
about 6 tablespoons of butter, preferably grass fed pasture butter.
Salt & Pepper to taste.
your fillo will be frozen if purchased at the grocery store, allow to thaw on the counter for 1-2 hours.
1. Sautee onion on medium heat in 1 TBL spoon butter until translucent
2. Add your spinach and cook until wilted
3. Add garlic, cooking 1 minute additional and turn off heat. Salt and Pepper to taste
5. Melt 5 tablespoons butter in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds
6. Brush a small coat of butter on the bottom of your baking dish
7.When fillo is thawed, Carefully separate one sheet and lay in an oven safe baking dish.
(Fillo is 14x8, - I used a 12x12 dish and overlapped) brush top of fillo with melted butter
8. Repeat step 7 until 8 layers of fillo are buttered and ready.
9. Add Feta and cream cheese to spinach mixture and mix well until fully combined
10. Spread spinach mixture on a layer about your fillo
11. Add 8 more fillo sheets, buttering each one separately, same as before.
12. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 20 minutes, preheat your oven to 350*
13. Once out of the freezer, precut your pieces and bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
Wrap each piece individually with plastic wrap and freeze immediately- ENJOY!