Thursday, July 5, 2012

Drink gourmet this summer without the $$$

I love coffee.

The #1 money sucker of the summer has got to be iced coffee. It's delicious and refreshing and costs between $2-$8 a cup depending on what you get and where you get it. You can have a cup brewed from home just as great, if not better than what you can buy.

If you want to go all out, cold brewed coffee is especially great because it loses its bitterness, but if you can't wait 12-15 hours for a cup of coffee I totally understand. You can even go as far out as making your own flavored syrups. It can be as easy or as time consuming as you like. I'll give you the choice.

Easy:
Brew your coffee and pour over 1 half cup of ice.
1 Tsp sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup of milk

Stir and Drink up!
*note*
I'm a lightly sweetened strongly brewed coffee gal, if you need it sweeter, adjust the sweetened condensed vs the regular. Such as 1 Tblspoon condensed and 1/8 cup milk.

Cold brewed coffee requires water,coffee filters,coffee grounds, a strainer and patience. If you dont have these, see recipe above.

1 lb ground coffee.
8 quarts of water
mix together in a big canister or bowl and leave on the counter overnight. In the morning, take a fine mesh strainer and line it with coffee filters and pour coffee through the strainer into a pitcher, replacing the filters when the coffee starts to pour more slowly. This is considered "coffee concentrate" and a little goes a long way.

My Perfect Glass:
Hand full of ice in a tall glass
fill with coffee half way
1 heaping teaspoon sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup milk.

Syrups are easy. I will give you two that can be done in no time at all.
1 cup water and 1 cup sugar boiled until sugar is dissolved
turn down heat to medium and simmer 4 minutes.


This is a basic simple syrup, too it you can add vanilla or almond extract or both! 1 tablespoon added in once at a boil and left to simmer along with water/sugar combo.


I have about a gazillion coffee recipes, so look out for more in an upcoming post because now we are moving on to a great-


Raspberry iced tea recipe:


4 quarts boiling water
1 cup sugar
Zest of 1 lemon 
1 tsp Raspberry Agave syrup
1pt raspberries
5 lemon tea bags
5 lipton tea bags


After the water is boiled, add in ingredients and leave to rest for 15 minutes. Once cooled, add in ice and refrigerate. I keep the raspberries in the water. It looks pretty in the glass and the longer the raspberries sit the better the tea tastes.. Don't be shocked when they turn white!

I served this for Julia's 2nd birthday and it was so delish we made it about 4 more times just for ourselves that same week. I'd like to say I only serve fresh brewed but I can't. I do buy the powdered mixes out of busy mom necessity but once Julia no longer says MMMM to a 90% watered down apple juice, If I'm too busy to make fresh teas and lemonades for my family we will all be drinking WATER!

No comments:

Post a Comment