Saturday, August 18, 2012

Black Tea Lemonade Au Naturale



I love drinks.. Not specifically alcoholic, but in general. It stinks that they have to be so high calorie and filled with sugar. Especially high fructose corn syrup which is a NO NO in our house.

That said, Soda is OUT. Boylan's is actually HFCS free and delish but we don't have a $1,000 a month soda budget here.

Long story short, to keep things interesting, I try to make drinks at home, using raw sugar, water, teas, and fruits. Jason LOVES Arnold Palmer, but the one in the supermarket has HFCS and the diet version is just as gross, with tons of "calorie free" chemical sugars. EW

Target had Tazo Iced Tea bags on sale last week which is my fave. So I bought a box of the black tea.  I boiled 6 cups of water with 1 cup of sugar (next time I will use 1/2 cup). I used 1 cup lemon juice which was about 6 lemons.  I left the tea bag to steep for about 10 minutes because I like a strong brew. I poured into a 2 quart pitcher an filled it up the rest of the way with cold water.

Once chilled, this was really delicious, tasted exactly like an A.P. It was a little on the sweet side for me, I like a lightly sweetened tea. But if you are used to the prebottled version this is exactly on point.

Break down:
6 cups boiling water
1/2-1 cup sugar in the raw depending on preference
1 iced Tazo tea bag

steep 10 minutes for strong brew

1 cup lemon juice, 6 lemons approx.

After doing the math, and depending on the size of your drinking glasses, 1 8oz glass is approx 110 cals of NATURAL ingredients, no processed BS.

ENJOY :)

No comments:

Post a Comment