Saturday, August 11, 2012

Overnight French Toast with Blueberry Compote



When you have young children at home your house is never spotless...Unless you have a maid (we don't) or you have odd children who sit quietly and let you clean everyday (we don't). So I thanked my lucky stars(and Jacob for taking a nice long morning nap) when I was given the opportunity to dust, sweet, mop and wipe this morning. The point of telling you this is because now, instead of spending all weekend cleaning, Hubby and I can relax, hang loose and spend some quality family time.

What better way to start off a lovely weekend than with a 5 star breakfast!

If you know anything about me you know that I LOVE COFFEE. I gave it up cold turkey for both pregnancies so that means that for 18 out of 24 months I had ZERO cups of coffee. Needless to say I am back with a vengeance.

If you want a 100% gourmet cup of iced coffee follow my cold brew recipe HERE. If you rather prep  the night before and whip up something delicious and FAST in the AM here is the easy road...

I pulled out our 100 yr old Mr. Coffee and brewed 11 cups of coffee, (Melita Classique) for 11 cups I used 11 HEAPING tablespoons of coffee. We like it bold here at the House of J. If you like your coffee lighter, regular tablespoons should do it.

Once it finished brewing I popped it straight in the fridge. This will be our iced coffee for the weekend, no ice required :)

For a classy touch I froze regular milk, vanilla soy milk and my caramel sauce(recipe here) in Julia's ice pop maker. Once it was half way frozen I stuck in some toothpicks for easy removal. This will flavor the iced coffee and make it even more cold and delicious without watering it down with ice.


You can stop here of course or you can make "Overnight" french toast...

Recipe as follows:

6 Pieces of bread. We used honey whole wheat
4 eggs
1 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix ingredients 2-5 until eggs are beaten and smooth.

Line a baking dish with 2 tablespoons melted butter and dust with cinnamon.

I did the dip and pour method, many online recipes say pour over bread but to make sure all pieces were saturated I did both.

place bread in dish sprinkle with cinnamon and cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate overnight...

When you wake up in the morning, take your baking dish out of the fridge and preheat oven to 350.
Bake for 30 minutes.

While your french toast is in the oven, realllllly impress your hubby with blueberry compote :)
1/2 pint blueberries, juice of 1/2 a lemon and 1 tablespoon sugar.

Boil until blueberries "pop" and mixture becomes saucey. Serve on the side in a cute little spouted cup :)

Enjoy a beautiful breakfast for 2. Or a fun, hectic, delicious breakfast for 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment