Friday, August 10, 2012

Swedish Meatballs for My Sweeties

 
Swedish meatballs is one of those dishes that are so yummy but you never think to just whip up a batch at home.

It's also a great make-ahead type of meal which we really need right now...Jacob is in his, "If mommy isn't holding me I'll scream my head off" stage. I remember it with Julia.

I will never forget that from about 3 months to 5 or 6 months old, EVERY time I would take a shower I'd come out to her HYSTERICAL. It's not that Hubby doesn't try, He snuggles them, kisses them, and plays them guitar. But when you are nursing an infant, they just want their momma. Now that Julia is 2 shes a big time daddy's girl but still won't let me shower without her playing in the bathroom every time.

SO...I've been trying to make dishes that I can prep during nap time and then get them all together quickly, later on.

For the meatballs.I used 3/4 pound ground pork. It was enough for the two of us plus a little extra for Julia.

To the pork add:
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used Italian style, we buy them in bulk)
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon lemon-pepper seasoning(a great kitchen staple to have in the house)
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tsp paprika

Mix it all together and form little meatballs, for a nice small meatball use a tablespoon scoop as a guide.

At this point I covered them in plastic wrap and popped them in the fridge. If you don't have an infant and a toddler feel free to make it all at once..

When you are ready to eat, get a big pot of water and set it on the stove to boil.

In the mean time make the meatball sauce.
1 tablespoon butter in a small sauce pan. Once melted add 1 tablespoon flour and stir until smooth and tan in color.

Add in 1 cup beef broth and 1 tablespoon soy sauce. Let it simmer on medium heat while you start cooking the meatballs..

Just add enough oil to a large pan to coat the bottom and toss in your meat balls, once browned turn them with a fork to brown on all sides, this takes about 10 minutes..

Add in some spiral egg noodles to the boiling water and a pinch of salt and cook per the instructions on the package.

While your meatballs and pasta cook, take 1/2 cup heavy cream and add to your sauce. Sprinkle in a pinch of paprika and a pinch of lemon pepper just to meld the flavors of the meatballs with the sauce and let simmer until it thickens.

Pour sauce over noodles and meatballs and there you go!!
Now you only have to go to Ikea for furniture :)


ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment